The Culver City Historical Society is sponsoring a Costume Contest during the Fiesta La Ballona to commemorate Culver City’s early California heritage. The competition, which will be held on Sunday, August 25, 2013, at 10:30 a.m. near the staging area in Veterans Park, encourages contestants to dress as Native Americans, Spanish colonials, rancheros, or pioneers. Costumes will be judged on authenticity, creativity, and representation of the period, and winners in all divisions will be awarded prizes.
The competition categories include:
- Boys, 12 years old and under
- Girls, 12 years old and under
Visit the Archives and Resource Center
The Archives and Resource Center (ARC) located behind the Veterans Memorial Building, will be open Saturday, August 24, 2013, and Sunday, August 25, 2013, from 12:00-4:00 p.m.
Here are 5 good reasons to visit the ARC:
- Visit with City Historian Julie Lugo Cerra who will be signing her new book, Chronicles of Culver City, from 2:00-4:00 p.m. Saturday, August 24, 2013. Bring your questions!
- See the debut of the new Culver City Historical Society Merchandise shop space and purchase unique gifts.
- Check out the wonderful display of historical Fiesta memorabilia.
- Take a look at the colorful costume worn by Jimmy Durante when he played “Pop Wonder” in Billy Rose’s Jumbo, filmed by MGM in 1962.
- It’s air conditioned!
For information about any of these activities, please call (310) 253-6941 or send your questions by e-mail.