Culver City purchased a major portion of this land, known as Exposition Park, in 1938. It was officially designed as Veterans’ Memorial Park on August 8, 1949. Bond Financing of $550,000 guaranteed the construction of the Veterans Memorial Building on the corner. The original plans promised a “recreational building with a stage, restaurant, film museum, playroom, and large gymnasium.” The “tourist tower” was designed to view “back lot” movie sets at Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios across the street. The cornerstone was laid on April 15, 1950. The VMB was dedicated on March 9, 1951, with Goodwin Knight, Lt. Governor at the time, in attendance. The Gold Star Mothers were guests of honor. This structure designed to serve the entire community, once included a “Tower Restaurant.” The entry proudly exhibits a growing number of markers, placed to honor and remember the veterans who served our country, and who fought for our freedom in many wars.
Native Americans traversed this land before it was claimed as a portion of Rancho La Ballona n 1819. The Spanish Period yielded to Mexican control, followed by California statehood in 1850. This site was part of the original land acquired to incorporate as Culver City in 1917. (marked 12-10-2011)