July 19 General Meeting and Program

The History of the Culver City Fire Department

Multipurpose Room, Veterans Memorial Building, 7 PM

 

Fire Chief David L. White (Culver City Fire Department)

Very soon after Culver City was incorporated in 1917, the Culver City Fire Department was created to protect the city’s citizens and their property. Our program will feature Culver City’s Fire Chief David L. White who will speak about today’s Fire Department and offer a PowerPoint presentation of its history.

The public is invited to this free program.  The entrance to the ARC is from the back parking lot.

The Archives will be open that evening for you to come and see the latest exhibits.

Print Friendly

April 19 General Meeting and Program

Stu Freeman

This month our program takes us on a trip from Latvia to Culver City where Stu Freeman, a local businessman and past president of the Culver City Historical Society, pays tribute to his grandparents and family. Molly and Louis Freeman opened Freeman’s Market in downtown Culver City in the 1920s. They serviced many country clubs, restaurants, the MGM Studios, and even Leo the Lion ate their products! Later, they opened Freeman’s Furniture in the Hull Building, still owned by the family and now hosting the Akasha Restaurant.

Hull Building

The Freeman family has been an integral part of Culver City. Their history will be presented through a PowerPoint presentation that also will also describe the many uses of the historic Hull Building over the years.

“While celebrating our Centennial, I congratulate the city that my family has been a part of for 90 of its 100 years,” Stu says.

Prior to the program, we will have a very special presentation, as Mr. and Mrs. Dennis Shapiro and Rabbi Zachary Shapiro of Temple Akiba will officially gift the Historical Society an original letter by Harry Culver to the Hal Roach Studio about (what else?) the mail delivery.

All are welcome to enjoy this free program. Entry is through Archives and Resource center from the parking area in the back of the building.

Print Friendly

January 18 General Meeting and Program

Our City Founder, Harry H. Culver

Multipurpose Room, Veterans Memorial Building, 7PM

 

In celebration of our city founder, Harry H. Culver’s January 22, 1880, birthday, City Historian Julie Lugo Cerra will offer a look back into Culver’s dream city. Many of us remember the Culvers’ only child, Patricia, helping out at the annual fiestas, and even taking our bus tours as a special guest! We enjoy a wonderful tie to our founding family, which continues with Pat Culver Battle’s tradition of being a ready resource for photos and records of Harry Culver’s life and plans. Cerra will give a visual presentation and discussion using many of these materials.

p-1-harry-h-culver-1913

Harry H. Culver (1913)

Take time to visit our Archives and Resource Center that evening as well, to view special Culver-related items, like the original ads that Mr. Culver designed to draw residents and businesses to Culver City.

 

Members and the public are invited to enjoy this free program. Entry is through the ARC from the back parking lot.

Print Friendly

October 19 General Meeting and Program

Costumes Galore…MGM and More

Multipurpose Room, Veterans Memorial Building, 7PM

 

The Culver City Historical Society will present a special multi-faceted program featuring the care and display of Culver City’s MGM costume collection by Denice Renteria, Costume Chair, and Sharon Shore, past Costume Chair, plus a presentation by Louise Coffey-Webb, former Society President.

f16-p-1-denice-renteria

Denice

Renteria, a prop maker for Knott’s Berry Farm, and Shore, an internationally and nationally known conservator of textiles, will begin with a visual presentation and discussion about the costume collection held in the

f16-p-1-sharon-shore

Sharon

 

Archives and Resource Center (ARC), and will show several costumes. Coffey-Webb, costume historian Project Manager for the James G. Gallanos Foundation, and author of Managing Costume Collections: An Essential Primer, will give a lively illustrated introduction to the joys and trials of costume collections of all shapes and sizes.

Coffey-Webb will be selling her book at a special price and will sign them.

The ARC will be open after the meeting where additional costumes will be on

p-1-lcw

Louise Coffey-Webb

display.

 

Members and the public are invited to enjoy this free program. Entry is through the ARC from the back parking lot.

Print Friendly

July 20 General Meeting and Program

Exploring Culver City Families and Their Businesses:
The Tinger-Eskridges and Culver City Flowers

Multipurpose Room, Veterans Memorial Building, 7 pm

Earl and Virgie Eskridge 1946 (bottom of page)As we approach our city’s 100th year, it is only fitting to share with you the story of another of our longtime family-owned businesses, Culver City Flowers. Earl and Virgie (Tinger) Eskridge’s family has a long history of flower shops in Culver City, beginning in 1934. Earl and Virgie have together and individually been members and given countess hours to the Soroptimists, the Exchange Club, the Elks, and the Historical Society. Earl continues to work with his son, Mike, member of the Lions Club, at Culver Flowers to brighten our community with beautiful flowers and a friendly smile. They raised three sons in Culver City and continue to be a supportive presence.

Join us on Wednesday, July 20, 2016, to explore the history of this family through a PowerPoint presentation, learn about their dedication and how they are woven into the fabric of this city.

All are welcome to enjoy this free program. Entry is through the Archives and Resource Center from the parking area in the back of the building.

Print Friendly