April 18 General Meeting and Program

Catch the Olympic Spirit!

April General Meeting to Highlight 1932, 1984, and 2028 Olympics with LA84 Foundation

Culver City has played a part in the past Los Angeles Olympic Games, and we look forward to being involved in 2028 when the world’s athletes return to the region. During our Wednesday, April 18 (7 P.M.) General Meeting and Program we’ll look back, as well as forward, with the help of a representative from LA84 Foundation, and any past and future Olympians that want to share their memories and aspirations.

1932 saw the construction of the first Olympic Athletes Village in nearby Baldwin Hills. Along with the athletes came appetites. Thus began the Great Olympic Bread War, which involved Helms Bakeries and a lawsuit that took nearly 20 years to resolve. Local luminaries Douglas Fairbanks and his wife Mary Pickford, who both have Culver City streets named after them, were instrumental in publicizing the 1932 games.

1984 was famously a budget conscious affair, with the Los Angeles Olympic Organizing Committee using a former helicopter assembly plant in Culver City as its headquarters. 1984 also was the first time a women’s Olympic marathon was held, with both the men’s and women’s marathon routes passing through Culver City on their way to the finish line.

How will Culver City play a part in 2028? Are future Olympians from Culver City training right now on our streets and in our parks?

Our featured speaker will be Wayne Wilson, who has served for three decades as Vice President, Education Services, for LA84 Foundation. Mr. Wilson holds a doctorate in sports studies from the University of Massachusetts, writes and speaks frequently about the Olympic Movement, and previously served on the Research Council of the Olympic Studies Centre in Lausanne, Switzerland.

Any local Olympians or Olympic volunteers who wish to take part in the evening’s Q&A are more than welcome to attend.

Historical Society members and the general public are invited to enjoy this free program on Wednesday, April 18 at 7 P.M. in the Multipurpose Room at Veterans Memorial Building, located at 4117 Overland Avenue. The entrance to both the ARC and Multipurpose Room is through the back of the building and open to the public.

The Historical Society Archives & Resource Center (ARC) will be open for you to come and see our latest exhibits.

About the LA84 Foundation: For over 30 years, the LA84 Foundation has experienced first-hand the power of sport to change lives. The foundation’s funding, focus, and advocacy has positively impacted more than 3 million under-served and under-resourced youth, supported over 2,200 organizations and trained 80,000 coaches. With a third Olympic and Paralympic Games in Los Angeles coming in 2028, the LA84 Foundation is ready to take their work to even greater heights as they begin to build a new legacy for the next generation.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Installation of Officers, January 17, 2018

You are cordially invited to attend the Culver City Historical Society’s Installation honoring the Society’s 14th president, Hope M. Parrish, and officers for 2018-2020 in the Crystal Dining Room of The Culver Hotel.

The event will take place on Wednesday evening, January 17, 2018 from 7:00-8:30 pm. The 2018-2020 officers will be:

  • Hope M. Parrish, President
  • Laura Stuart, Vice President, Development
  • Ellen and Art Litman, co-Vice President, Museum
  • Ryan Vincent, Vice President, Programs
  • Fred Alexander, Secretary
  • Carolyn Wispe Burns, Treasurer

Mayor Jeffrey Cooper will act as the installing officer and Rafia Cooper will be the evening’s Master of Ceremonies. Reservations are a must, so please download and complete the form found here, and your tickets will be held at the door.

Due to limited seating, reservations must be made by Friday, January 12, 2018. No tickets will be sold at the event. Tickets can also be purchased at the Culver City Historical Society Archives and Resource Center (ARC) on Sunday, January 7, 2018 between 1:00 PM -3:00 PM.

For more information, call the Society at (310) 253-6941 or email us.

All proceeds benefit the Culver City Historical Society.

See you there!

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

October 18 General Meeting and Program

In Search of Family History with Steven Rose

Multipurpose Room, Veterans Memorial Building, 7PM

Steven Rose (Culver City Chamber of Commerce)

 

If you have not already heard, Steven Rose is retiring as President/CEO of the Culver City Chamber of Commerce. What will he do with his free time?

At our next general meeting, Steve will explain his plans to dive deep into his family history, which is splintered among many generations and family trees and branches.  All four lines of his family are believed to have roots in Germany, where family records have been kept for centuries.  Steve will outline his plans for tracing his genealogy, how and what he has gathered so far, and share poignant anecdotes of his family’s journey over the last three centuries.

Many branches of his family immigrated to America in the 19th century, settling in northern or southern California as well on the east coast. They were involved in many aspects of the development of early California. Along the way, Steve has acquired many stories, fact and fiction, both here and in Germany, and looks forward to discovering more.

The public is invited to this free program. The entrance to the ARC is from the back parking lot.

The Archives will be open that evening for you to come and see the latest exhibits.

The branch of Steve’s maternal grandmother’s side of the family.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

July 19 General Meeting and Program

The History of the Culver City Fire Department

Multipurpose Room, Veterans Memorial Building, 7 PM

 

Fire Chief David L. White (Culver City Fire Department)

Very soon after Culver City was incorporated in 1917, the Culver City Fire Department was created to protect the city’s citizens and their property. Our program will feature Culver City’s Fire Chief David L. White who will speak about today’s Fire Department and offer a PowerPoint presentation of its history.

The public is invited to this free program.  The entrance to the ARC is from the back parking lot.

The Archives will be open that evening for you to come and see the latest exhibits.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

April 19 General Meeting and Program

Stu Freeman

This month our program takes us on a trip from Latvia to Culver City where Stu Freeman, a local businessman and past president of the Culver City Historical Society, pays tribute to his grandparents and family. Molly and Louis Freeman opened Freeman’s Market in downtown Culver City in the 1920s. They serviced many country clubs, restaurants, the MGM Studios, and even Leo the Lion ate their products! Later, they opened Freeman’s Furniture in the Hull Building, still owned by the family and now hosting the Akasha Restaurant.

Hull Building

The Freeman family has been an integral part of Culver City. Their history will be presented through a PowerPoint presentation that also will also describe the many uses of the historic Hull Building over the years.

“While celebrating our Centennial, I congratulate the city that my family has been a part of for 90 of its 100 years,” Stu says.

Prior to the program, we will have a very special presentation, as Mr. and Mrs. Dennis Shapiro and Rabbi Zachary Shapiro of Temple Akiba will officially gift the Historical Society an original letter by Harry Culver to the Hal Roach Studio about (what else?) the mail delivery.

All are welcome to enjoy this free program. Entry is through Archives and Resource center from the parking area in the back of the building.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email