“Daniel L. Patacchia” Conference Room Dedicated

Notes From Your City Historian
by Julie Lugo Cerra

“The Daniel L. Patacchia Conference Room” at City Hall was dedicated on Monday, April 6, 1998. The renaming of Conference Room 1A to honor Mayor Emeritus Patacchia was by action of the City Council.

Dan Patacchia, a native of Pennsylvania, arrived in Los Angeles in 1941. He and his wife Lillian moved to Culver City in 1948 where they raised their daughter, Nancy. Dan worked at Lockheed, then chauffeured in the movie industry, working part time in real estate. By 1950, he built his real estate office on Overland Avenue, from which he never completely retired. Dan passed away on February 11, 1994.

Patacchia served on the City Council for eight years (1960-68), acting as mayor for six of those years (1962-68). It was during his tenure that Fox Hills was annexed to Culver City, the City celebrated its 50th Anniversary, and Dan traveled to Uruapan, Mexico as Mayor to formalize our first commitment to the Sister City program. He played an active role in the community, in real estate organizations, the Chamber of Commerce, and as a member of the CC Exchange Club.

The dedication of the room to Patacchia was conducted by Mayor Albert Vera with the help of Culver City’s PIO Randi Joseph. In his remarks, Councilmember Mike Balkman referred to Patacchia as his mentor, and was pleased that the dedication came prior to his retirement from the elected body this month.

Dan’s widow, Lillian Patacchia, daughter Nancy and her husband Bob Cline, grandson Danny Ericsson and great-grandson Jimmy were in attendance, as well as Dan’s sister, Ida, her family and numerous old friends, including former City Treasurer Lu Herrera (the new CCHS President), Director of Human Services Syd Kroenthal and members of the Exchange Club.

The story of Culver City is ongoing….we move forward and learn from the past.

Print Friendly